Saturday, August 9, 2014

Bookreview: Perfume by Patrick Süskind


Born in 1949, Patrick Süskind is a German writer and filmmaker. It is often said that Perfume is a classic because it is read in schools. What exactly defines a classic? I have no idea. (This is the kind of questions my teachers would like to ask in an essay.) I read this book by myself (not for a class). It was fabuloso.

The story begins in the eighteenth century. From the first page, I was enveloped of the era, charmed by the appearances of an unwanted child in an unfriendly world, a child which I subsequently followed the course of his life, to realize that he was a murderer. Jean-Baptiste Grenouille has a more developed olfactory ability than anyone else. As he discovers the smells that surround his life, I discovered mines. This novel will make you aware of your surroundings as you have never been: by using your nose. This is with a sustained slowness that I enjoyed the life of Grenouille, and the writing all in style of Süskind, to eventually devour the last pages as if there was no tomorrow. It is fervently that I wanted to love Grenouille that will soon succeed to create a perfect perfume: the one that would rules the world. "Will he succeed? And if so, how will he use it? " I questioned myself. Because we often mistakenly believe that odors have no influence on our lives, but Süskind will demonstrate otherwise, will make you doubt your own perceptions of beauty and ugliness; of love and hate.

And the end ... what an ending! An end that opens the door to question who we really are as men and women in society; an end that questions the true love: what it really is? Are we able of it? 


If you like...
… Fine words, neither too long nor too short sentences, concrete, but poetic writing;
... To put yourself in the shoes of a murderer;
... To try to understand a new way of seeing the world;

This book is for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment