Thursday, August 21, 2014

Filmreviews: Patch Adams and The Trotsky

I have so much things to share with the world: it's insane. So, I have decided to mix two films in one blogpost because both of them are inspiring chefs d'oeuvre. Yes, I said it. Patch Adams is so touching after Robin Williams' suicide that I passed the night after I have seen it asking me WHY, in God's name, Rob hadn't watched it before he took action.

But he didn't.

American comedy/drama, 1998

This film is a breath of fresh air for the desperate soul. I laughed a lot, but I also cried a lot. All is about resilience and how to live it. My summary would be that a man in search of a goal discovers it in a journey he imposes on himself in an asylum: he wants to improve the life of others. So, he will do all he can to become a doctor but, as he is integrating himself in this new world of medical students, he will discover its selfishness and self-centeredness. At this point, he will have a enormous and foolish dream to create a free hospital where patients can as well be doctors and the contrary: everybody can help in a way or another. Will he finish his studies? Will he realize his dream? Will he conquer the heart of his loved one? 
Brief, a soft film that make you think a lot about your life, your dreams, your goals, and your level of happiness in general.

2009's Canadian comedy


The Trotsky, on the other side, speaks about social justice, but in a fun and refreshing way. Leon Bronstein, from an upper-class Jewish family, believes that he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky, a Marxist/Bolshevik leader. He focuses all his goals' life on facts of Trotsky's life. His activism and determination of reproducing all these facts are represented by hilarious moments. At the beginning, Leon seems a bit annoying and his sister, too much sweet with him that it is quite doubtful. But, as the film continues, all comedians become lovely, and we are completely taken in Leon's cause. Let's face the truth: as shy as I am in public, I've always dreamed to have Leon's bravery and strength in front of adversity. Like a lot of people, I guess.

Brief, both films are perfect reminders of why we are here and an invitation to pursue our dreams.

For all of you.
You will be conquered.
Good viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment